Mission and Values
The Center is a private, non-profit, non-denominational day treatment facility for emotionally troubled children and their families from the greater Washington, DC metropolitan area. The goal of our treatment, therapeutic milieu, and individualized special education program is to enable each child to function productively within the family, school and community.
- We have a firm belief in children, their strengths, and their future contributions to society.
- We believe that children have the right to care, support, respect, and protection.
- We believe that the development of a child’s positive self-image must be a core component of our program and be implemented by qualified and concerned staff.
- We believe the relationship between a staff member and each child is the primary vehicle for change, education and maturation.
- We believe these relationships must be positive, nurturing and therapeutic.
- We believe that families are essential team members in any therapeutic program for children.
- We believe that we should continuously try to improve its treatment programs by rigorously assessing their relevance to the future outcomes of these children.
- We believe that our staff and consultants should continuously search for and utilize state-of-the-art methods and therapies in treating children.
- We believe that our staff must be sensitive and vigilant in observing and understanding the unique cultural and ethnic diversity of each child when developing and executing individual therapeutic programs.
- We believe that effective children’s mental health practice requires coordinated interactions with all available family support systems.